Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Music on My Mind



Kansas Heart Band, "Last Train from Poor Valley".

When I drive I usually have the radio stuck on the Radio Classics channel, but I was searching around today and happened to be arrested at the Bluegrass Junction channel by Richard Bennett's version of this old song, which was gorgeous. I couldn't find Bennett's version anywhere -- it's softer and sadder than most versions, including this one; but I searched for another one I liked, and this one, despite some background noise, has a lot to be said for it.

The song was originally written by Norman Blake, probably the most important singer/songwriter in the bluegrass genre, for June Carter; he often played with her and Johnny Cash. Probably the most famous cover of the song, though, is Jerry Garcia's folk rock version with his band Legion of Mary.