Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Immediate Book Meme

From the Darwins.

1. What book are you reading now?

Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun
Roger Scruton, The Face of God
Sergius Bulgakov, The Lamb of God
Stephen Blackwood, The Consolation of Boethius as Poetic Liturgy
Henry Sidgwick, The Methods of Ethics

2. What book did you just finish?

Laurence Sterne, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman
Dumitru Staniloae, The Experience of God, Volume I

I have also been reading over the past three weeks The History of Middle-Earth, which is Christopher Tolkien's study of the drafting stages of his father's works; I have finished up to Volume 10, and so have just two more volumes to go.

3. What do you plan to read next?

I don't know about next, but I'll be doing some plays by Ibsen and re-reading George Eliot's Romola at some point in the next few months. I'll be finishing Bulgakov's and Staniloae's series at some point, but that's probably a longer-term project.

I also keep meaning to get to Half Price Books, so that will doubtless turn up a few.

4. What book do you keep meaning to finish?

The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night; I am done with two out of three volumes, 2650 pages, and just need find a time to power through the last 1300 or so pages.

5. What book do you keep meaning to start?

Tanith Lee's The Secret Books of Paradys

6. What is your current reading trend?

I read too many books to be keeping track of reading trends.